Debate editorial

Recently, I engaged in a debate about homework with the editors of USA Today. Here’s my editorial, Homework Does Not = A’s and here’s the editors’, Less homework, more trouble.

19 Comments on “Debate editorial”

1. Micaela says:

I am in grade 6 in Gladstone, QLD, Australia and my teacher gives us truckloads of homework daily. What can I do to make her stop?

August 20th, 2006 at 11:11 pm

2. william gillman says:

homework sucks

March 23rd, 2007 at 10:22 am

3. Trevor Gooding says:

I am an A student that never has time. I am constantly doing homework and the amount of homework I recieve takes so long that by the time I go to school I am too tired to do anything but read a book, eat lunch, and fall asleep. Someone need to fix this.

May 15th, 2007 at 3:45 pm

4. chantelle says:

homework needs to be stoped 4 all kids sakes

May 29th, 2007 at 6:58 am

5. blah says:

you all need to stop and think about what not doing homework is teaching you: no responsability, no time managment, and no way to do self dircted research, in addition to not haveing enought time to complete tasks in class

May 31st, 2007 at 12:19 pm

6. neuyt says:

no homework

January 23rd, 2008 at 3:02 pm

7. neuyt says:

no homework

January 23rd, 2008 at 3:02 pm

8. Anonymous says:

homework has to stop, if not stop, then at least reduced. So many of my friends have to carry heavy bags and one slick ice, i think you can do the math.

February 18th, 2008 at 1:10 pm

9. Samantha says:

homework is awaste of time because it’s a review of what you learned in school so homewor sucks

March 11th, 2008 at 7:23 pm

10. ktrjnskrthn; says:

Homework is kind of accessive to a regular school day, and I agree. I don’t have time everyday to study what I just studied in school some more.

February 2nd, 2009 at 1:58 pm

11. bob says:

homework is a waste of paper think of all the trees poor trees they need comfort and excitment in there life not killing they should be living.

March 12th, 2009 at 5:24 am

12. Anonymous says:

I’m curious. If there is no homework, are the children supposed to sit in class and read their textbooks together — which would take an entire period in middle school. When is the teacher supposed to be able to explain, reinforce, check for understanding, etc. Or, are you suggesting we get rid of textbooks?

March 13th, 2009 at 8:49 pm

13. Anonymous says:

No, they are supposed to read at home. Maybe not the boring textbooks school trots out but interesting engrossing books on everything from science to literature. It’s called after school, when we parents get to call the shots and supplement what the schools are doing at home.

After school is not homework. It’s the space in time when our children get to do self directed pursuits that find them in the basement building a train set out of leggos or hiking in a nature center to learn about bugs or catching the last show at the Air and Space museum planetarium. It’s where we get to enrich and inspire our children, spend time with them, revel in their endless curiosity, watch them play and grow, and bask in their childhood.

Don’t need textbooks to accomplish that. The world is our stage. School should do school and families should do home.

March 14th, 2009 at 8:28 am

14. Anonymous says:

Home = relax
    School = work

home is not 4 work ! school has there rules but wen it gets 2 hme tym it is the parents rules!

January 26th, 2010 at 11:36 am

15. oliver says:

if you can do your homework than you’re not learning anything because you already know how to do it.

February 25th, 2010 at 8:57 am

16. Anonymous says:

So, if experts say we learn time management from doing homework, then shouldn’t it be able to be done in school? I personally don’t even have a studyhall as I know some schools do, and am forced onto homework during every day. I read an article that says homework for math should only be 5 problems, because that is all that is needed to see if the concept is understood.

April 9th, 2010 at 11:21 am

17. schoolhaterz says:

To Blah: without hwk we have an opportunity to involve ourselves in music,sports,and art. what makes u think we wont have responsibility, or time management?? huh?? yeah datz rite u dont know cuzz idk who u are but kids are capable to do alot of things and with things like hwk we dont show our full potential on any of these things! yes hwk is a waste of time!! and we need to stop it!!

May 20th, 2010 at 9:37 pm

18. Anonymous says:

homework is good and bad

May 31st, 2010 at 1:58 am

19. Ben says:

I’d rather school just go for an extra hour and get rid of homework.

November 9th, 2010 at 3:26 am